FDR Park's history began in 1914 when the now-legendary landscape architectural firm of the Olmstead Brothers designed the Park, then known as League Island Park. To build FDR Park, 300 acres of marsh were filled and regraded. This process was considered one of the more remarkable works of land reclamation of its day. In 1926, the Park hosted the national Sesquicentennial Exposition, a celebration of our nation's 150th birthday. The Park's boathouse, gazebo and American Swedish Historical Museum are current reminders of the Exposition.